Saturday, January 29, 2011

Difference between a caterer and an event planner.

of ten people ask me why they would need a wedding planner, after all the caterers they have do the same thing. And in my Ally Mcbeal mind I have as many times strangled, shot, banged their head with a steak hammer, cracked a whip and whatnot them. But truth be told it is not their fault. In our country planning is hardly something that is sought-after. 


And now on a a more serious note, there is a lot, A LOT, of difference between a caterer (who in our country call  themselves event planners, ergo the confusion (guy's, hate to break it to you but YOU ARE NOT event planners) and an actual event planner. 







"An obstacle in the sales/service industry is always convincing your potential client why they should use you. One of my husband’s close friends once said to me: “why would I hire a wedding planner when I can do that myself?” I spent the next half hour “selling” him on how yes, he may be able to plan a wedding, but I can also hammer a nail into a wall… Does that mean I should install my own cabinets? I successfully converted him into a believer.
So, in the wedding planning industry we often run into the issue of venues having an on-site catering manager and the couple not seeing the need for their own personal event planner. That seems all fine and dandy when your wedding is a year away but trust US that it is far from the case when you are just 8 weeks away.", say Ariana G. Stecker of Iris Fields.

Nowadays, it seems a lot of florists, stage designers etc have sprung up to add their little extra and make an event look fantastic, but is it really about just that day? What if you can find someone who does that and more, like coordination, themes, music, giveaways, align photographers and musicians, valet and the list can go on, and on, and on.  
I would recommend this article THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CATERING MANAGER AND WEDDING PLANNER (AND WHY BOTH EXIST) for you to have a clearer picture of the importance of an event planner.



No comments:

Post a Comment